IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

To support the elderly, persons living with dementia, their care workers, family members and Care Homes during the Covid-19 pandemic, access to our services are free.

Notifications

The Alzheimer's society does not have a clue about black people  

karlevelyn
(@karlevelyn)
Member Admin
09/08/2019 10:47 pm  

After making many attempts to talk to the Alzheimer's Society about their culturally sensitive support for members of the Caribbean community, with very little response, and the little that we did get was only to say that we will get someone to call you back, which never happened, I have come to the conclusion that they don't have a clue, or just don't care, however they have now awarded £86,000 (over a three years) to a phd student to f o research after which they will put things in place things that are culturally relative. My question is do they think that some student can work out what we need, when we already know! And we have been trying t o tell them. Do they think we are stupid? Here is a link to what they are doing. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/research/our-research/understanding-how-dementia-services-can-meet-needs-black-african-and-caribbean-people Whats your thoughts?

This topic was modified 10 months ago by karlevelyn

Carol Ann Dixon
(@carol-anndixon)
New Member Customer
27/08/2019 3:18 pm  

I completely agree that many of the mainstream organisations and charities that receive public funds to provide information and support rarely have culturally sensitive services that meet the needs of people from 'minoritized' backgrounds - including people from the African, Caribbean and Asian diaspora communities in the UK. As a researcher, I can see the value of the Alzheimer's Society conducting a formal study to establish a baseline about what is (or is not) currently happening. However, unless this is subsequently backed up with an action plan that seeks to implement the recommendations that arise from the research, then nothing will change very quickly. In the interim, the Pearl Support Network should continue demonstrating the good practice that has already been established and use this website as an advocacy and awareness-raising tool to make the case for receiving additional funding (via central government, local authorities, the Third Sector, and beyond). If the Alzheimer's Society do not wish to engage with you there are other prospective partners and funding streams that could be investigated instead. As members of the network, we should (collectively) pool ideas about which other charities and funding bodies to approach. I work in the education and heritage sectors, so I'm very willing to share what I know about applying for funding from organisations such as the HLF, Arts Council, Paul Hamlyn Foundation, etc. I am sure there are other Pearl Network members working in other fields who could advise on additional funding sources and mainstream partners as well. Thank you for initiating this important discussion. P.S. One set of statistics I came across recently that explain why these mainstream charities don't have a clue about supporting the needs of BAME communities in the UK were the "Inclusive Boards 2018" findings that stated only 5.3% of charity leaders were identified as being from "ethnic minority backgrounds" and also that c.80% of leadership teams in the charitable sector do not have any managers from BAME backgrounds. This explains a considerable amount about why these organisations are ineffective, unresponsive, and very slow to change. As the saying goes... "A Luta Continua (The Struggle Continues)!"

ReplyQuote
Share:

Help Us Keep Going

£
Personal Info

Donation Total: £50.00 One Time