Author Posts

August 27, 2016 at 11:48 am

Good day to you all,

I have an Aunt residing in a care home in South London. She has been in there for nearly two years. My Uncle (her husband of 57 years) lived and looked after her without complaint. She only went into the home when she became more confused and aggressive. He and her grand daughter had the foresight to do so as months later, my Uncle succumbed to an illness and passed away.

I have visited my Aunt in the home. She didn’t remember me but sadly, it’s to be expected. The home she is in seems ideal. She has her own spacious room with her picture on the wall outside for easy locating. The staff “are experienced enough to look after people suffering an onset of dementia.” There aren’t many African or Caribbean residents but the majority of staff are African/Caribbean and look after the residents well and, of course, have a special affinity with my Aunt.

Not far from a tube station and a bus stop right outside:

August 27, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Hi @suzuki154 , awww so sad to hear about both your Auntie and Uncle, Your uncle is a great man and it takes a lot to look after someone with dementia especially of a late age, he hung on for your aunt and once he knew she was in safe hands he has gone to wait for her.

Thanks for the Care Home information we will add this in our care home directory as a care home that caters for African and Caribbeans

Also thanks for joining us and hopefully we can be a space to help you openly talk about your aunt but also for you and your family to get the help to ensure your aunt has a great quality of life.

If you need anything just put a shout out

September 7, 2016 at 8:15 am

Hi Junior,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, my Uncle was a great man!  He and my Aunt were dedicated to each other.  If you saw one, you saw the other and they still held hands when they went out.  I can only pray for a love like that – LOL!

I have a friend of a friend who works in this area and will try and get in contact with her for her input, advice and knowledge on the subject.

September 7, 2016 at 11:46 am

I am sure you will find a love like that! it’s out there just let it happen 🙂 It would be fantastic if your friend’s friend could get involved, anybody really even if they don’t know anything about dementia can still offer their input even if it is spreading the word, gathering information, contacting carers, organisations, care workers and councils in their area, letting them know we are here to support them and even help with organising fund raising events etc…

So thank you for you help really glad to have you on board, give us a shout anytime