Date: Thu 30 March 2017
Soho House - Soho Avenue - Handsworth
Pearl Support Culturally Sensitive Memory Café
Pearl Support would like to invite you to the launch of our first culturally sensitive Memory Café for BME people with Dementia, their partners and their carers, this will be the first of many planned across the West Midlands and other relative areas accross the United Kingdom. The launch will be held on Thursday 31st March, 11:00-14:00 at Soho House Musuem, Soho Avenue, Handworth.
A Memory Café provides a place where any member of the public who has been affected by dementia either for themselves, as a family member, carer, or friend. The memory Café is also open to anyone who is concerned that they or a person they know may have a short term memory problem, where they can drop in and talk to an experienced volunteer or a health professional
Our Culturally Sensitive Memory Cafés will provide culturally relative stimulation and interaction for its users, and an opportunity for carers to exchange experiences and information. The Memory Café will also provide networking opportunities, peer support, specially developed activities and practical support for approximately 40 people at each individual Memory Café .
To register for the launch event, please follow this link on Eventbrite here https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/culturally-sensitive-memory-cafe-tickets-32614859924 or contact Karl Wilson on 0121 392 8634.
The launch aims to kick start at the Soho House, Soho Avenue, Handsworth, Birmingham with a brief outline of the monthly culturally sensitive memory café and to provide an insight to the range of activities that we will be delivering during the pilot. The pilot project consists of:
- 7 monthly culturally sensitive memory cafes, third Friday of every month (April – October 2017) at Soho House.
- 4 Pearl Sunday events – trialling ‘pop up’ memory cafes in local churches
- Memory Box Appeal – building a collection of post 1950’s memorabilia for BME communities
- Dementia training manual and online training package for people who are concerned about, or are caring for BME people with Dementia.
The dates for the remaining memory cafes will be the third Friday of every month at Soho House, as follows:
- 21st April 2017
- 19th May 2017
- 16th June 2017
- 21st July 2017
- 18th Aug 2017
- 15th Sept 2017
- 20th October 2017
- Benefits you can claim when you have care needs
- Memory Boosting Superfoods That Fight Alzheimer’s
- 101 Activities
- 10 Stimulating Activities for Alzheimer’s Patients
- Take the SAGE test to spot early signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s
- September is World Alzheimer’s Awareness Month; Alzheimer’s Action Day is September 21
- Direct payments
- Assessments and the Care Act (Carers)
- A Helpless Voice
- Things to remember when caring for someone with Alzheimer’s
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Increased Dementia Risk
- Types of Dementia you should be aware of
- New study finds dementia more common in African-Caribbean people
- Alzheimer’s Caregivers Face Unanswered Questions
- Standing Tall Against the Stigma of Dementia
- What to Expect as Alzheimer’s Progresses
- Number of people with dementia in minority ethnic groups could rise seven fold by 2051
- Guide to Dementia Care at Home
- How Far We’ve Come in Alzheimer’s Research