Our Day Care Service for older people seeks to operate within a holistic approach to care and aims to provide a stimulating environment with particular regard to the needs of African Caribbean Elders; however individuals from other ethnic groups are welcome to attend our service. We combine the benefits of social interaction with a renewed focus on health awareness and health promotion activities as part of our core programme of activities. In doing so, this enables us to give our service users a better understanding of their health conditions; it also empowers them to change their lifestyles so that they become fitter and more active.
We have been on the Adult and Community Services Approved Providers List for over 15 years.
We have also continued to support carers of African Caribbean older people by providing respite places for their loved ones within our service; this enables primary carer to either continue with their education, remain in employment or to have a break from the caring responsibilities so they can pursue leisure activities. Our service is currently available twice weekly, on Mondays and Wednesdays between 10am – 3pm.
On a weekly basis, we invite practitioners from Sandwell Primary Care Trust, Sandwell Homes, Health Foundation Trust, Sandwell Adult and Community Services plus a broad range of Voluntary, Community and Independent Organisations to raise awareness of available services.
Also, on a three or six monthly basis we have Healthcall Opticians & Hearing Services visiting our Centre so that Service Users can have their eyes and ears tested.
We currently operate a three prong referral system.
For referrals associated with Adult & Community Services Block Contract; we only receive referrals from qualified Social Workers or Practitioners that form a part of Integrated/Virtual or STARS Team
If individuals that do not meet the above criteria, but they have a Carer who needs respite, they may be able to access our service through the Carers Special Grant.
For individuals that do not meet the above two areas, or if they live outside of the borough; we will set up a spot purchase contract.
Day Care Activities:
- BE WISE THIS DIWALI
- 10 Dark Secrets From The World Of Horse Racing
- Stabilis Lucra Forex Review
- Benefits you can claim when you have care needs
- Memory Boosting Superfoods That Fight Alzheimer’s
- 101 Activities
- 10 Stimulating Activities for Alzheimer’s Patients
- Take the SAGE test to spot early signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s
- September is World Alzheimer’s Awareness Month; Alzheimer’s Action Day is September 21
- Direct payments
- Assessments and the Care Act (Carers)
- A Helpless Voice
- Things to remember when caring for someone with Alzheimer’s
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Increased Dementia Risk
- Types of Dementia you should be aware of
- New study finds dementia more common in African-Caribbean people
- Alzheimer’s Caregivers Face Unanswered Questions
- Standing Tall Against the Stigma of Dementia
- What to Expect as Alzheimer’s Progresses
- Number of people with dementia in minority ethnic groups could rise seven fold by 2051
- Guide to Dementia Care at Home
- How Far We’ve Come in Alzheimer’s Research