If you have difficulty preparing your own meals or obtaining meals from anywhere else, Leeds Black Elders Association can deliver a nutritious meal to your home.
Leeds Black Elders Association delivers Community Meals which are provided by the Leeds City Council. There is a wide choice of meals which include: African-Caribbean; Halal and vegetarian to name but a few. All meals are culturally-sensitive and are freshly prepared daily and delivered by our friendly meals delivery staff, ready for you to eat .
The price of the meal will be in line with Social Services evaluation process
The meals on wheels service has been in operation since late 2002. The uptake of this scheme is extremely successful and Leeds Black Elders envisage the demand for this service will increase greatly in the future.
Service available to:
To any person aged over 55 and lives within the Leeds 6, 7, 8 and 9 area and who are in need of this service.
The Meals on Wheels service is available 6 days a week – Monday to Saturday.
If you would like to be referred for this service, please contact the Leeds Black Elders Association office. We can put this referral in for you quickly and the service can usually start the next day.
The meals are delivered between 11.30am and 2:00pm (on selected days as stated above).
All dietary needs are catered for so please ensure that you inform us of your particular requirement when you contact us.
All meals cost £4.50 per day for a hot meal, dessert and a free box of juice is also provided. If you would like a light tea (usually sandwiches, dessert and fruit juice), this can be provided at an extra cost of £2.50 and will be delivered at the same time as your hot meals.
The service-user will be sent a monthly invoice from the Leeds City Council for the cost of the meals.
If you require this service please contact:
Leeds Black Elders Association
3 Reginald Terrace
Day Care Activities:
- Benefits you can claim when you have care needs
- Memory Boosting Superfoods That Fight Alzheimer’s
- 101 Activities
- 10 Stimulating Activities for Alzheimer’s Patients
- Take the SAGE test to spot early signs of dementia or Alzheimer’s
- September is World Alzheimer’s Awareness Month; Alzheimer’s Action Day is September 21
- Direct payments
- Assessments and the Care Act (Carers)
- A Helpless Voice
- Things to remember when caring for someone with Alzheimer’s
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Increased Dementia Risk
- Types of Dementia you should be aware of
- New study finds dementia more common in African-Caribbean people
- Alzheimer’s Caregivers Face Unanswered Questions
- Standing Tall Against the Stigma of Dementia
- What to Expect as Alzheimer’s Progresses
- Number of people with dementia in minority ethnic groups could rise seven fold by 2051
- Guide to Dementia Care at Home
- How Far We’ve Come in Alzheimer’s Research